VMware vRealize Network Insight 3.0 Release Notes
vRealize Network Insight 3.0 | 01 AUG 2016 | Build 1469457715
Check regularly for additions and updates to these release notes.
The release notes cover the following topics:
VMware vRealize Network Insight 3.0 is an Intelligent Security and Operations Management solution for the network. It provides 360 degree visibility across virtual and physical network using network flow analytics. Enables Micro-Segmentation planning based on network flow information. Intuitive search based interface to search datacenter information. Enables advanced NSX Operations Management with configuration synchronization and error checking, relationship mapping between NSX services and vSphere hosts, and CLI scrapping for extracting routing and firewall tables.
The new and enhanced features in this release are as follows:
- Micro-segmentation planning with deep flow analytics
Network Insight offers rich traffic analytics, for determining where there are network security and segmentation weaknesses within vSphere infrastructures. Based on these weaknesses, Network Insight provides recommendations utilizing NSX micro-segmentation best practice network designs. Network Insight collects this traffic data from vSphere hosts, with the enablement of the IP Fix (Netflow) traffic accounting data. There is a simple GUI within Network Insight for selecting the traffic to be collected on a per vDS basis.
Proactive problem identification to troubleshoot issues in the SDDC Network
Network Insight offers end to end 360-degree visibility of traffic conversations and traffic paths with combined overlay (virtual) and underlay (physical) topology views. This helps when troubleshooting and pinpointing configuration, connectivity and latency problems.
- Rich and intuitive user interface with search
Intuitive query language search makes it easy to navigate the SDDC. Rich visualizations such as Path Topologies enable deeper view into the SDDC.
- Palo Alto Firewall and router functionality support (Beta)
- Dashboard for Panorama
- Problem detection for incidents such as disconnection of a firewall from Panorama, ESXi host not having a firewall agent VM installed, mismatch between the virtual device count reported by Panorama and VMware NSX Manager.
- Panorama 7.0.3 onward is supported
- NSX Central CLI Support
VMware NSX Centralized CLI is now supported for NSX version 6.2 and above. Enabling centralized CLI support removes the need of supplying and configuring credentials for each individual NSX Controller and Edge VMs. This greatly simplifies configuring NSX Data Source management.
- Multi-vendor switch and router support including Cisco, Juniper and Brocade
Following models are supported:
- Cisco Nexus Switches - 5000, 7000, 9000
- Cisco Catalyst Switches - 3000, 3750, 4500, 6000, 6500
- Dell Switches - FORCE10 MXL 10, FORCE10 S6K
- Arista Switches - 7050TX, 7250QX
- Brocade Switches - VDX 6740, VDX 6940
- Juniper Switches – EX3300
vRealize Network Insight 3.0 supports the following VMware products.
- VMware vSphere 5.5
- VMware vSphere 6.0
For IPFIX, VMware ESXi versions:
- VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 2 (Build 2068190) and above
- VMware ESXi 5.5 6.0 Update 1b (Build 3380124) and above
VMware NSX versions:
- VMware NSX 6.0.x
- VMware NSX 6.1.x
- VMware NSX 6.2.1 to 6.2.3
vRealize Network Insight 3.0 includes the following product documentation.
The known issues for vRealize Network Insight 3.0 are as follows:
- Upon Evaluation license expiry, data providers are disabled and stop collecting data. After renewing license, the data providers must be enabled from the UI to start data collection.
- During deployment, if a vRealize Network Insight Proxy Appliance is configured with incorrect IP address and incorrect shared secret, then the appliance goes in an unrecoverable state and has to be redeployed.
- Once a data provider is removed from the system, the same data provider can be added back only after two or more hours.
- Support bundle creation on a medium sized system can take in excess of fifteen minutes of time.
- NSX Credentials
NSX Manager Data Provider requires Enterprise role. If Central CLI is to be enabled, System Admin user credentials are required for NSX Manager Data Provider.
- When number of VMware vCenter® flows (4-tuples) exceed 600K, the processing of flow data on a Proxy VM is paused. It resumes only when number of active flows in the system are less than this limit. A flow in vRealize Network Insight 3.0 is a 4-tuple of (source IP, destination IP, destination port, protocol).
- More than 100,000 unique IP addresses are not supported for flow based analytics.
Top of Page