VMware Tools 10.0.12 Release Notes
VMware Tools | 25 OCT 2016 | Build 4448496
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
What's in the Release Notes
The release notes cover the following topics:
VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machine's guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine.
- VMware Tools Lifecycle Management:
VMware Tools 10.0.12 freezes support for legacy Guest Operating Systems. Frozen ISO images are available for download from http://my.vmware.com. These ISO images are not shipped with ESXi in the tools-light VIB. VMware Tools 10.1.0 caters to the current guest operating systems. VMware Tools 10.0.12 caters to the legacy guest operating systems.
- VMware Tools support for Guest Operating Systems in 10.0.12
- VMware Tools support for Guest Operating Systems in version 10.0.12
- winPreVista.iso supports Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003.
- linuxPreGLibc25.iso supports Linux guest operating systems earlier than Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11, Ubuntu 7.04, and other distributions with glibc version earlier than 2.5.
- darwinPre15.iso supports Mac OS X versions 10.10.x and older.
- VMware Tools 7.7.0
support for the following guest operating systems has been already frozen
- winPre2k.iso supports versions earlier than Windows 2000.
- VMware Tools 8.1.0 support for the following guest operating systems has been already frozen
- netware.iso supports NetWare guest operating systems.
- Resolved Issues: This release of VMware Tools 10.0.12 addresses issues that have been documented in the Resolved Issues section.
Before You Begin
Important note about upgrading to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or later
For resolution on incompatibility and general guidelines while upgrading ESXi hosts to ESXi 5.5 Update 3b or ESXi 6.0 Update 1 or later, using older versions of Horizon View Agent, refer to the knowledge base articles:
VMware Tools 10.0.12 is available in the following languages:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
VMware Tools 10.0.12 is compatible with supported versions of VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 and later, VMware Workstation 12.0, and VMware Fusion 8.0. See VMware Compatibility Guide for more information.
Guest Operating System Customization Support
The Guest OS Customization Support Matrix provides details about the guest operating systems supported for customization.
Installation and Upgrades for this release
VMware Tools can be downloaded from the Product Download page.
VMware Tools Operating System Specific Packages can be downloaded from http://packages.vmware.com/tools/releases/index.html. For more information on installing OSPs, see the VMware Tools Installation Guide for Operating System Specific Packages for ESX/ESXi version 4.1 and earlier, ESXi versions 5.x and 6.x
The steps to install VMware Tools vary depending on your VMware product and the guest operating system you have installed. For general steps to install VMware Tools in most VMware products, see General VMware Tools installation instructions (1014294). To set up productLocker to point to shared datastore, see KB 2004018.
For specific instructions to install, upgrade, and configure VMware Tools, see VMware Tools Documentation page.
Support for ESXi 5.0 and ESXi 5.1 VMware Tools
- Extended support - Extended support is available for VMware Tools versions shipped with ESXi 5.0 and ESXi 5.1
- Upgrade - Upgrade of VMware Tools to version 10.0.12 for legacy guest operating systems is not supported on ESXi 5.0 and ESXi 5.1. Virtual machines running VMware Tools 10.0.12 is supported on ESXi 5.0 and 5.1.
- The minimum versions of VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201608001 and VMware ESXi 6.0, Patch Release ESXi600-201608001 and later is required to install or upgrade VMware Tools 10.0.12 on the legacy guest operating systems running on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.0.
VMware Tools is backward and forward compatible with ESXi. Newer version of VMware Tools is compatible with older ESXi versions supported and conversely. Upgrade of VMware Tools to version 10.0.12 is the last supported upgrade for the legacy guest operating systems on VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201608001 , VMware ESXi 6.0, Patch Release ESXi600-201608001 and later.
Upgrade Support for future releases of VMware Tools
Upgrade support is available for older versions of VMware Tools shipped with ESXi that have reached end of support to newer versions of VMware Tools shipped concurrently to the immediate ESXi version released at the time of end of support of the older ESXi releases.
Windows guest Drivers Installed by VMware Tools
The following driver versions are supported by VMware Tools 10.0.12 on a Windows Guest Operating System.
||VMware Tools 10.0.12
18.104.22.168 - NDIS 5.0
0.9.9.0 - For Kernel-Mode Code Signing
22.214.171.124 - For Kernel-Mode Code Signing
10.0.1.0 - For Frozen operating systems older than Windows Vista
126.96.36.199 - For Kernel-Mode Code Signing
188.8.131.52 - For Kernel-Mode Code Signing
The known issues for VMware Tools 10.0.12 are listed below
- VMXNET3 driver prevents the Windows operating system from receiving all the multicast traffic in the DVSwitch
The new VMXNET3 driver prevents the Windows operating system from receiving all the multicast traffic in the DVSwitch if multicast address in set to more than 32 in the Windows operating system.