vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 Release Notes
vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 | 23 August 2016
Last Document Update: 16 SEP 2016
Check for additions and updates to these release notes.
These release notes should be read in conjunction with the vRealize Hyperic 5.8.4 and 5.8.5 release notes.
What's New in vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6?
In addition to fixing issues, the following changes have been made in vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6.
- TLS 1.0 is disabled by default.
- The Java Runtime Environment has been updated to version 1.7 101.
- Apache Struts has been updated to version 2.3.29.
- Apache Tomcat has been updated to version 8.0.33a.
- TLS has been updated to version 1.2.
- vPostgres SQL has been upgraded to version 9.3.12.
- The following updates have been made to plug-ins:
- The Websphere MQ plug-in is updated to support version 8.
- The Jboss plug-in is updated to support Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 6.3.0.GA.
- The Oracle driver has been upgraded to version 18.104.22.168.
Upgrading to vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6
Upgrading your existing vRealize Hyperic installation to the latest version provides you with the latest features and enhancements.
There are multiple upgrade scenarios that are explained in the vRealize Hyperic documentation. For more information, see Upgrading vRealize Hyperic Components and Migrating the Database.
However, to upgrade the vRealize Hyperic vApp to 5.8.6 and get security fixes, you must follow these steps.
- Export existing database and server configurations of the version of the vRealize Hyperic server from which you are upgrading.
Install the vRealize Hyperic vApp and import the existing database and server configurations.
- Open an SSH session to the vRealize Hyperic server as a hyperic user and and shut down vRealize Hyperic server 5.8.3 or later versions.
Note: If the vRealize Hyperic server is running when you run the migration script, the migration process stops the vRealize Hyperic server.
- Change the directory to installer/bin.
- To migrate to vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 from earlier versions, first add the following lines to the migration XML file /opt/hyperic/hyperic-hqee-installer/installer/data/hq-migrate.xml
after <table name="EAM_VIRTUAL"/>:
<table name="EAM_GROUP_CRITERIA" />
<table name="EAM_GROUP_CRITERIA_PROTOTYPE_MAP" />
<table name="EAM_VC_CONFIG" />
<table name="EAM_MGMT_POLICY" />
<table name="EAM_POLICY_GRP_MAP" />
<table name="EAM_POLICY_RESOURCE_STATUS" />
- Run the hq-migrate.sh script:
The script reads the hq-server.conf configuration file of vRealize Hyperic server 5.0 and earlier versions and connects to the existing vRealize Hyperic database.
./hq-migrate.sh hq-export -Dhqserver.install.path=/opt/hyperic/server-current/
Note: To export configuration data and not metric data, add -DconfigOnly=true to the command line.
It exports the database and creates a tarball with key artifacts and the database dump in hq-migration-export-HqVersion.tgz.
By default, the archive is written to the import staging directory called migration_home/tmp/export-data or the value of the staging.dir if specified.
The export log files install.log and install.log.verbose are written to the logs directory.
Note: The import process must run under a database account that has superuser permissions.
- Install VMware vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 and assign the same IP address as the previous version.
Note: Ensure that the newly deployed vRealize Hyperic vApp 5.8.6 and the earlier version of the vRealize Hyperic vApp from which you are migrating are synchronized with the same NTP server.
- Import the existing database and server configurations.
- Copy the export tarball to the vRealize Hyperic server host 5.8.6 or make it available on the machine on which the vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 server is installed.
If you make the export tarball available on the machine on which the vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 server is installed, expect some network latency overhead.
- Open an SSH session to the vRealize Hyperic server as a hyperic user and and shut down the vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6 server.
- Run the migration script with the import option:
./hq-migrate.sh hq-import -Dhqserver.install.path=PathToServerHome -Dexport.archive.path=PathToExportArchive
Note: Replace PathToServerHome and PathToExportArchive appropriately.
- Open an SSH session to the vRealize Hyperic server as a hyperic user and start the vRealize Hyperic server.
By default, the process uses the database credentials defined in the server.database-user and server.database-password properties in the hq-server.conf file.
If the database user account defined in the hq-server.conf file is not a superuser, you must supply the credentials of a superuser account at the command line using
-Dtarget.database.username and -Dtarget.database.password or in a properties file using target.database.username and target.database.password.
Resolved Issues in vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6
The following issues have been resolved in this release.
- When you login to vRealize Hyperic as an administrator and try to edit the default alerts, a java exception occurs.
- When you attempt to create a recovery alert in vRealize Hyperic, the drop-down menu is empty.
- When you attempt to view a group alert in vRealize Hyperic, the following error occurs: The page request cannot be displayed.
- You cannot configure thread pool parameters in the Websphere MQ plug-in.
- When you view a group in vRealize Hyperic, the Scheduled Downtime option is missing from the Tools menu.
- The date of modification in an alert definition is updated even when no changes are made.
- The URLs that are generated for email alerts are malformed.
- When an LDAP user logs in to the vRealize Hyperic user interface for the first time,
a blank page is displayed even though the user was successfully created.
- Changes made to the HQ Server Settings page erases the LDAP password.
- The ODBC driver has been updated to ojdbc6-22.214.171.124.
Known Issues in vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6
The following issues are known to occur in vRealize Hyperic 5.8.6.
- Top N data is not migrated on the upgrade of vRealize Hyperic vApp
When you upgrade from an earlier release of vRealize Hyperic vApp to vRealize Hyperic vApp 5.8.6, Top N data does not get migrated.
- Cannot connect to the vRealize Hyperic Server
You cannot connect to the vRealize Hyperic server from vRealize Operations Manager when only TLS 1.2 is enabled in the vRealize Hyperic server.
- Open the hyperic server.xml file from "/opt/hyperic/server-5.8.6-EE/hq-engine/hq-server/conf/server.xml" for editing.
- In the hyperic server.xml file, replace the line protocols="TLSv1.2" with protocols="SSLv2Hello,TLSv1.2,TLSv1.1”.
- Restart the vRealize Hyperic server.
- Errors occur when you attempt to add objects for monitoring
When you add AIQ objects for monitoring using HQAPI, the objects are approved until the process encounters an object that is temporarily or permanently down. The command stops attempting to add other objects.
- List all the objects by running the hqapi command-line tool. For example: /hqapi.sh autodiscovery list
- Iterate through the list of objects that are displayed after you use the hqapi command-line tool and approve them using the hqapi command. For example: ./hqapi.sh autodiscovery approve --regex=""
- Cannot discover the Hyper V plugin
vRealize Hyperic does not discover the Hyper V plugin. Hyper V servers or services are not displayed in the list of server types in the vRealize Hyperic server.